Posted:Aug 02, 2019
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 25% of adults over 65 have no remaining teeth. Many of these people choose dentures. But at Southern York Smile Cares in Shrewsbury there is a better option.
1. Dentures usually fit properly at first, but the mouth changes as you age. Normal wear and tear take their toll. Eventually, the dentures will need to be relined or replaced. But even quality dentures which fit properly cause troubles, both physical and mental.
2. The human body is designed to have teeth that are anchored in the jaw. But dentures move around in the mouth.
3. Ill-fitting dentures can irritate gums and cause inflammation. Inflammation often leads to additional health conditions.
4. Dentures can change a person’s bite which impacts the temporomandibular (jaw) joint. This, in turn, can result in pain in the face, neck, and head.
5. Dentures trap particles of food. This can result in gum disease. Partial dentures can increase the risk of decay in remaining teeth.
6. Dentures can make food taste different or mask the taste entirely. This can result in insufficient nutrition.
7. Some people with dentures start eating smaller meals which can lead to weight loss.
8. Dentures can take the pleasure out of eating. This can affect emotional health. (Enjoying a meal is often the best part of the day, don’t you agree?)
9. Inadequate calorie consumption lowers energy levels. This affects the ability to work, travel, and participate in hobbies and recreational activities.
10. Dentures restrain chewing capacity. Many denture wearers stop eating nuts, high-fiber foods, and raw vegetables. All of these are part of a healthy diet.
11. Reduced chewing capacity can cause the denture wearer to swallow bigger chunks of food. This can result in digestive problems. It also increases the risk of choking.
12. Dentures can interfere with speaking. When speaking ability is limited, some individuals avoid social situations and are at a greater risk for depression.
13. Missing teeth eventually lead to bone loss. When the jaw no longer has tooth roots, it shrinks and recedes.
Can you place a value on physical and mental well-being?
Dental implants are titanium posts that are placed in the jaw, where they fuse with the bone. Once this happens they act as a replacement tooth root. One implant can support an artificial tooth, while several can support a set of dentures.
Dental implants are available at Southern York Smile Care in Shrewsbury. They may be the best investment you make when it comes to health and happiness. Other services include cosmetic dentistry. Schedule an appointment today!
Free second opinion ($125 Value)
Contact us today for details
Address: Southern York Smile Care4 S Main StShrewsbury PA 17361